Yi-Jen Wu, M.D., Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Institute of Clinical Medicine, College of Medicine, National Cheng Kung University
Attending Neurologist, Department of Neurology, National Cheng Kung University Hospital, College of Medicine, National Cheng Kung University
Clinical Neurology, Epileptology, Electroneurophysiology, Cognitive Neuroscience
Ph.D., Clinical Medicine, National Cheng Kung University
M.D., Medicine, Kaohsiung Medical University
B.S., Occupational Therapy, National Taiwan University
Resident and Clinical Fellow, Dept. of Neurology, National Cheng Kung University Hospital
Attending Physician, Div. of Neurology, National Cheng Kung University, Dou-Liou Branch
Attending Physician, Dept. of Neurology, National Cheng Kung University
Visiting Researcher, Institute of Cognitive Neuroscience, National Central University, Taiwan
Visiting Researcher, Institute of Neurology, UCL, Queen Square, London, UK
Visiting Assistant Professor, Dept. Biomedical Engineering, Case Western Reserve University, USA
Licensure and Certification
Neurology Board, Taiwan
Physician Board, Taiwan
Noninvasive Brain Stimulation (Clinical Applications, Neurophysiological Mechanism)
Seizure and Epileptology
- Academic Distinction Award, National Taiwan University (1998)
- Best Intern, Kaohsiung Medical University (2007)
- Poster Presentation Award, Annual Conference of Taiwan Neurological Society (2010, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016)
- International Conference Travel Fellowship Award, TIGP-INS, Neuroscience Program in Academia Sinica (2015)
- National Cheng Kung University Hospital Research Project Competition Award (Clinical/Basic Research, 2015 Second Prize, 2016 First Prize)
- Ph.D. Dissertation Award of College of Medicine, National Cheng Kung University (2017)
- The Phi Tau Phi Scholastic Honor Society Honorary Membership (2017)
- Academic Paper Award, Cheng-Hsing Medical Foundation (2018)
- NCKU Medical College Teaching Innovativeness Honorable Mention Award (2020)
- Taiwan Epilepsy Society Research Paper Honorable Mention Award (2020)
- Outstanding Young Scholars Research Grant, Ministry of Science and Technology, Taiwan (2019-2022)
Theme 1: Transcranial Direct Current Stimulation, Clinical and Basic Researches
- Wu YJ, Tseng P, Chang CF, Pai MC, Hsu KS, Lin CC, Juan CH. Modulating the interference effect on spatial working memory by applying transcranial direct current stimulation over the right dorsolateral prefrontal cortex. Brain and Cognition 2014;91:87-94. (IF 2.432)
- Wu YJ, Tseng P, Huang HW, Hu JF, Juan CH, Hsu KS, Lin CC. The facilitative effect of transcranial direct current stimulation on visuospatial working memory in patients with diabetic polyneuropathy: a pre-post sham-controlled study. Frontiers in Human Neuroscience 2016;10:479-489. (IF 3.634)
- Wu YJ, Lin CC, Yeh CM, Chien ME, Tsao MC, Tseng P, Huang CW, Hsu KS. Repeated transcranial direct current stimulation improves cognitive dysfunction and synaptic plasticity deficit in the prefrontal cortex of streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. Brain Stimulation 2017;10(6):1079-1087. (IF 6.078)
- Yu TH, Wu YJ, Chien ME, Hsu KS*(2019, Jan). Transcranial direct current stimulation induces hippocampal metaplasticity mediated by brain-derived neurotrophic factor. Neuropharmacology, 144:358-367. (IF 4.249)
- Wu YJ*, Chien ME, Huang CH, Chiang CC, Lin CC, Huang CW, Durand DM, Hsu KS*. Transcranial direct current stimulation alleviates seizure severity in kainic acid-induced status epilepticus rats. Experimental Neurology 2020;328:113264. (IF 4.691, *corresponding and first author)
- Wu YJ*, Chien ME, Chiang CC, Huang YZ, Durand DM, Hsu KS*. Delta oscillation underlies the interictal spike changes after repeated transcranial direct current stimulation in a rat model of chronic seizures. Brain Stimulation 2021;14(4):771-779. (IF 8.955, 93.99% in Clinical Neurology, 93.22% in Neuroscience, *corresponding and first author)
Theme 2: Seizure and Epilepsy, Clinical and Basic Studies
- Wu YJ, Tsai JJ, Huang CW. Nonketotic hyperglycemia-related reflex epileptic seizures induced by Mah-Jong playing. Epilepsy & Behavior 2010;19(3):533-535.
- Hsieh CY, Chiou NJ, Wu YJ, Tsai JJ, Huang CW. Somatosensory rub evoked reflex epilepsy of a temporal lobe origin. Neurological Sciences 2011;32(2):297-299.
- Huang CW, Wu YJ, Wu SN. Modification of activation kinetics of delayed rectifier K+ currents and neuronal excitability by methyl-β-cyclodextrin. Neuroscience 2011;176:431-41.
- Chow JC, Huang CW, Fang CW, Wu YJ, Tsai JJ. Lamotrigine-induced hypersensitivity syndrome in a Han Chinese patient with the HLA-B*5801 genotype. Neurological Sciences 2013;34(1):117-119.
- Lai MC, Lin KM, Tsai JJ, Wu YJ, Huang CW. Dupuytren’s contracture: subacute onset after long-term antiepileptic drug use. Neuropsychiatry 2016;6(6): 366-368.
- Lai MC, Hung TY, Lin KM, Sung PS, Wu SJ, Yang CS, Wu YJ, Tsai JJ, Wu SN†, Huang CW*. (2018, Jul). Sodium Metabisulfite: Effects on Ionic Currents and Excitotoxicity. Neurotoxicity Research, 34(1):1-15.
- Wu YJ*, Chien ME, Huang CH, Chiang CC, Lin CC, Huang CW, Durand DM, Hsu KS*. Transcranial direct current stimulation alleviates seizure severity in kainic acid-induced status epilepticus rats. Experimental Neurology 2020;328:113264. (IF 4.691, *corresponding authors)
- Wu YJ*, Chien ME, Chiang CC, Huang YZ, Durand DM, Hsu KS*. Delta oscillation underlies the interictal spike changes after repeated transcranial direct current stimulation in a rat model of chronic seizures. Brain Stimulation 2021;14(4):771-779.
Theme 3: Clinical Neurology Studies
- Wu YJ, Lin CC* (2013, Feb). Cold-induced eyelid myotonia. Neurology, 80(8):e81. (SCI, IF 8.166)
- Wu YJ, Pai MC* (2012, Jul). Two gloves and one sock syndrome after a pontine hemorrhage. Neurologist, 18(4):196-8. (SCI)
- Wu YJ, Tsai TT, Huang CW* (2011, Sep). Conjugate eye deviation shifting in hemispheric stroke indicates an emerging mass effect. Journal of Clinical Neuroscience, 18(9):1276-8. (SCI)
- Wu YJ, Lai ML, Huang CW* (2010, Dec). Reversible postvaccination paraneoplastic encephalomyelitis in a patient with lung adenocarcinoma. International Journal of Neuroscience, 120(12):792-5. (SCI)